The primary role of the Town of South Bruce Peninsula Building Department is to promote public safety, assist development in compliance with Provincial Regulations and enforcing the Building Code Act, the Building Code Regulations, the Zoning By-Law and By-Laws pertaining to the Building Code as adopted by council. The municipality ensures that the structures meet the code, regulations, and are safe.
A building permit is permission to begin construction or demolition. This means that the Town of South Bruce Peninsula has accepted and approved plans that comply with the Building Code Act, regulations, local zoning by-laws, and other applicable laws and regulations. Building permits and inspections ensure that building standards are met and the structural change is safe and legal. The fees are set by the Town of South Bruce Peninsula Council.
The following is a list of some of the things that the Building Department is responsible for:
- Issuing permits when applications are complete.
- Conduct inspections of buildings as required by the Building Code Regulations which includes and is not limited to residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural.
- Required inspections of Private Sewage Systems.
- Plumbing inspections in new buildings.
- Plumbing inspections in additions for changes to and adding onto existing plumbing.
- Compliance letters for land transfers.
- Zoning Information.
It is the homeowner's responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained when required. Please contact the Town of South Bruce Peninsula Building Department if you are not sure whether a permit is required for the project you will be working on.
Comprehensive Zoning By-Law 122-2009
Town of South Bruce Peninsula Local Official Plan
Being a By-Law Respecting Construction, Demolition, Change of Use,Occupancy Permits and Inspections.
Carol House, Chief Building Official
519-534-1400 ext. 141
Kelly McCorkell, Deputy Chief Building Official/ Building Inspector
519-534-1400 ext. 145
Tara Davis, Building Department Administrative Assistant
519-534-1400 ext. 140
Back to Top