Claims against the Town 

If you have incurred costs from damages or injuries for which you believe the Town may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below for the Town to consider your claim.

To expedite your claim, you should place the Town on notice as soon as possible.  If your claim is from non-repair of a municipal roadway or sidewalk, you are required to place the Town on notice within 10 days of the incident. 

The Town's objective in responding to claims is to ensure:

  • Fairness
  • Transparency
  • Timeliness 

The Town is not always liable for your damages. The onus is on you to prove your claim and your damages.  The Town will not be held responsible for your costs unless you can provide evidence that the Town committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage.  

We suggest that you contact your own insurer regarding damages.  You may be eligible for greater compensation than you can legally recover from the Town.  If your insurer believes that the Town is responsible for your damage, they will seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.  Whenever damage to Town property is caused by a third party, the Town of South Bruce Peninsula seeks recovery of the related costs from the responsible party (e.g. for damage to property such as street lights and hydrants.) 

You are required to submit a "Notice of Claim Report" to the Manager of Financial Services for damages, injury, or loss to you or your property.  The Manager of Financial Services will forward all claims to the Town's insurance adjusters for evaluation.

If you believe you have a claim, please contact the Manager of Financial Services, 519-534-1400 extension 106.