- Repair and maintain roadways (Additional information can be found on the Town's Road and Bridge Maintenance page)
- Repair and maintain sidewalks
- Maintain roadside ditches
- Maintain municipal parking lots
- Repair and maintain roadside signs, guide rails and line painting
- Authorize and inspect the construction of all new or altered entrances on municipal roads
- Process permits for road/sidewalk cuts, logging operations, and for moving heavy vehicles or objects exceeding normal weight and width limits. Applications are found on the Forms section of our website.
- Maintenance and operation activities of the municipal Water Treatment and Distribution Systems in Wiarton and the Former Amabel Township are currently performed by the Ontario Clean Water Agency (O.C.W.A.) under signed contracts.
- Preventative maintenance of the distribution systems involves items as listed:
- Maintain, operate and replace water services and hydrants
- Locate water services (to request locates, please contact Ontario One Call)
- Maintain, flush and upgrade water distribution system and operate water main valves and valve boxes
- Town staff maintain and replace water meters (where necessary) and complete water meter reads for utility billing purposes.
- More information about the Town's water systems, including the current water and sewer rates, are found on the Water and Sanitary Sewers section of our website.
Sanitary Sewer System
- The sanitary sewer collection and treatment system is operated and maintained under signed contract with Ontario Clean Water Agency (O.C.W.A.)
- Preventative maintenance of the sanitary sewer collection systems involves items as listed:
- Maintain, flush and upgrade sanitary sewer collection system
- Video inspection of sanitary sewer collection system
- Locate sanitary services (to request locates, please contact Ontario One Call)
- Maintain and upgrade sanitary services
- Maintain and inspect manholes
- More information about the Town's wastewater system, including the current water and sewer rates, are found on the Water and Sanitary Sewers section of our website.
- Maintain storm sewer collection system
- Maintain, clean and inspect catch basins
- Maintain and upgrade drainage pits
- Maintain sedimentation pond
- Locate municipal storm sewers (to request locates, please contact Ontario One Call)
- Provide perpetual care for municipal cemeteries
- Locate plots and burial preparation
- Sale of vacant plots for interment
- Maintain site plans and burial records
- Digital maps can be found on the Cemeteries section of our website
- Perform general repairs and maintenance to public works fleet
- Co-ordinate and assign vehicle and equipment as required within the department and other municipal departments
- Oversee repairs made by outside services.
Beach / Waterfront
- Cleanup in spring and maintain throughout season
- Install and remove snow and sand fencing in spring and fall
- Maintain drainage and parking areas
- More information can be found on the Beach Maintenance section of our website
- Operate and maintain landfill site (More informaiton can be found on the Landfill section of our website)
- Provide weekly curbside garbage collection (More information can be found on the Garbage Collection section of our website)
- Provide bi-weekly curbside recycling collection (More information can be found on the Recycling section of our website)
- Provide fall leaf collection (Collection dates are posted each fall on the Public Notices section of our website)
- Gas well monitoring
- Removing, stumping and trimming on municipal property
energy conservation and demand management plan
The Town of South Bruce Peninsula Energy Conservation and Demand Management has been prepared for the period of January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014. You can view the Plan by clicking on the link below.
Energy Conservation and Demand Management Plan