LicensingSolemnization Services and Weddings on Municipal Property

Marriage Licences

How do I apply?

1) A marriage license application must be completed and signed by both parties. An application can be accessed online or at the municipal office.

2) Once the application has been completed and signed by both parties it can be brought to the municipal office along with original proof of identity for both applicants (birth certificates along with photo identification, any change of name certificates, or current passport. Record of immigrant landing or Canadian Citizenship card as proof of identity). Photocopies are not acceptable.

If you have been previously married and were divorced within Canada, your original or a court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be provided for examination.

3) If you were divorced outside of Canada, you must obtain authorization from the Ministry of Government Services before you can purchase a marriage licence.

4) Persons between the ages of sixteen and seventeen that wish to marry require both parents consent or consent of their guardian. Please request Form 6 (Persons under the age of sixteen may not marry)

How long is a license good for?

A marriage license is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three months from the date of issue.

How much does a marriage license cost?

The municipality charges a licence fee of $125.00 payable to the Town of South Bruce Peninsula. Hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

How do I change my name?

You can assume your spouse's name to become your married name and your legal surname.

If you choose to legally change or hyphenate your surname, a Change of Name form must be filed with the Office of the Registrar General. If filed within 90 days after your marriage there is no fee. To access the form please see the Government of Ontario's website


bride and groom with parents


Civil Marriage Solemnization

The Town of South Bruce Peninsula is pleased to offer Civil Marriage Solemnization services for applicants who desire to have a ceremony without religious connotations.

ServiceOntario reminds those getting married to ensure that the person performing the ceremony is legally authorized to do so.  Please read this memo from ServiceOntario.

Civil Marriage Solemnization Guidelines and Application 

The Town of South Bruce Peninsula currently has six solemnizers who perform this service.  For further information, please read the biographies of our solemnizers below.




Contact Information

 Jim Kempster

Jim Kempster 


After a lifetime of Public Service Jim has continued in the Emergency Management field and, as a Member of Sauble Beach and District Lions Club/Sauble Family Health Team Board member, is a dedicated volunteer within the community.
His extensive 'people' experience, within the cosmopolitan structure of our country, has rendered him empathic as to the needs, requirements and hopes of those seeking that special or customized marriage service.
Jim resides in the Oliphant area with his wife of 45 years, Moira.
To request that Jim Kempster perform your ceremony please call 519-534-5556 or 519-377-5556. 



Margaret King

Margaret King

Margaret King is a former Salvation Army Captain who has
performed marriage ceremonies throughout several provinces.  She has
been a marriage counselor and an anger management counselor.
Margaret is outgoing and enjoys interactions with people
of various backgrounds.
Margaret resides in the Sauble Falls area.



Mary Lou Mailloux

Mary Lou Mailloux

Mary Lou is a retiree of a major Canadian airline.  She is a certified
Advanced Reflexology practitioner and a Reiki Master practitioner.
She has traveled world wide and has experienced, with an open mind,
people of various cultures, religions and social diversities.

Mary Lou resides at Sauble Beach and the ceremony, whether formal or at the beach will be professionally designed, unique and supportive.  She will work closely with you to create a personalized Civil Ceremony that is available to all couples wishing to express their love and commitment to each other by joining together in marriage.  Mary Lou looks forward to being a part of your special day and making your wedding day dreams come true.  If you wish to request Mary Lou to perform your ceremony please call 519-422-1324.



Pat Varley

 Pat Varley


Pat is a retired Municipal Employee, Councillor and Police Board Member who has spent her entire career in dedication to public service and still stays involved throughout the Community. She  lives in beautiful Oliphant, South Bruce Peninsula and is qualified to perform civil marriage ceremonies throughout Ontario.
Pat is a devoted wife of 50 years, mother and grandmother who enjoys everything life has to offer.  Pat will work with you to create your own special and meaningful day at your particular location. 
Your romantic wedding ceremony will be the way you have always envisioned.  It will be unique and in a warm, caring and magical atmosphere.  Your service will be your own and an event to be remembered your entire life.
Call Pat Varley to make your dreams become reality.    226-668-9399


   Angela Cathrae, Clerk for the Town of South Bruce Peninsula  519-534-1400 ext 122
   Cherry Wyonch, Deputy Clerk for the Town of South Bruce Peninsula  519-534-1400 ext 120


 Weddings on Municipal Property

The Town has a policy regarding the holding of weddings on municipal property.

The policy can be accessed by clicking here.

Please contact the Town By-Law Enforcement Division with respect to dates, times, locations, requirements and any questions.  519-534-1400 ext 143