Council, Committees and Local Boards

What is Council's role?

Council is responsible for the governance of the Town of South Bruce Peninsula, guided by provincial legislation. Council establishes policies and budgets for programs and services delivered by the Town of South Bruce Peninsula.

When does Council meet?

Council meets on the First and Third Tuesday of each month.  These are called regular Council meetings.  The meetings begin at 1:00 pm. 

Council may from time to time schedule special meetings which are held to discuss only the topics which are posted on the agenda.

council code of conduct and making a complaint about council conduct

Council has established a policy which govern the conduct of the members of Council.  The policy explains the the complaint process.  You can view the policy by clicking here.



What does a Committee of Council do?

A number of committees have been established to assist Council in carrying out its duties. These committees consider issues within their scope and make recommendations to Council or other committees, or exercise the authority delegated by Council.  Committees have an approved Terms of Reference and operate within the procedures established by Council.



Why have local boards?

Local boards are established in accordance with legislation and have specific mandates.  Examples are the Police Services Board and the Wiarton BIA.